Hold Me Accountable
You know, I have a lot of stuff I want to do in this life, but sometimes getting around to it all can be quite challenging. So, since you all come by and kick it with me on the regular. I thought I'd let you get in my business and hold me accountable on a few things.
One thing I've noticed about myself is that I don't like to disappoint. Maybe it's the little boy in me that likes acceptance, maybe I'm just better at getting things down when people are counting on me to do it, whatever it is, I've realized that when I create the right environment for myself, I'm more productive.
So here's the deal -- I was thinking about doing the 101 in 1001 , but decided I needed to put a bit more pressure on myself by shortening the period. I know the people at "101" think the 1001 days is realistic, but I know what works for me. So, I'm going to do a 365 Day Challenge and trim the list down to my top 40, that is, if I can come up with 40 things. We'll see. So in no particular order, here's my list -- I'll update periodically, because I probably can't think of 40 things for this year tonight.
1. Stop drinking soda - period - my bladder is out of control and I know drinking all that soda can't be helping -- but I like the taste and the caffeine.
2. Commit to a five day workout plan by my birthday in December - no matter what comes up in my schedule, commit to five days. The daily minimum is 1 mile (walked or ran), 36 situps (3 sets of 12), and 36 push-ups (3 sets of 12) -- this way, equipment doesn't come in to play. I can do this workout anywhere.
3. Finish the complete first draft to "Chance Encounters" by December 16th.
4. Finish the complete first draft to "Closure" by January 31st.
5. Visit my cousins in California by Summer 2008. Possibly tie that in with a visit to Cabos San Lucas Mexico (Oh yeah, I'm going back!)
6. Take my wife Christmas shopping in Chicago this year.
7. Visit my relatives in Florida in April 2008 (My Granny's birthday month).
8. Call Grandma Ruby (my late Grandfather's second wife) over Thanksgiving and for her birthday on December 17th.
9. Help my wife complete the rehab of our house by Spring, so we can either rent or sell this property and move on to the house we have been waiting to purchase.
10. Do everything in my power to have 5000 sold for Bloggers' Delight (Have you ordered your copy yet?).
11. Devote serious attention to my novel by March 1st 2008
12. Attend Book Club Convention in Atlanta, August 2008
13. Complete "Seminar" by January 1st.
14. Put invitations in the mail for PowerCell by January 1st.
15. Take my wife out at least once a month without the kids.
16. Do something with the kids away from home at least once a month.
17. Start studying Spanish using Rosetta Stone beginning no later than April 1st 2008.
18. Create a 4 yr. scholarship for a minority student who wishes to attend college.
19. Read at least one book a month (I know I could read more, but I'm serious about this list).
Must read John Edgar Wideman, James Patterson, re-read Black Boy (Richard Wright), James Baldwin, Langston Hughes (complete The Best of Simple).
20. Keep the irons sharp - take a writing class to continually improve in the craft.
21. Seriously consider membership with 100 Black Men St. Louis Chapter.
22. Support GOOD musicians by purchasing their albums. Bootleg is for busters! You'd want people to buy your work, wouldn't you?
23 - 40. ?
So, tell me, what would be on your list? Maybe you'll trigger my mind to remember something else I want to do.